You’re probably used to seeing a bread stuffing on your Thanksgiving table, but in you are gluten free or are having guests that are gluten free then a quinoa based stuffing is exactly what you’re looking for! This recipe is great because it works as a side dish but you can also add chicken sausage and easily turn it into a complete meal.
- 2 teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 cup kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1 cup raw quinoa, cooked and chilled
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp sage
- dash of salt and pepper, to taste
- Vegetable broth
1. Cook quinoa according to package directions, set aside and let cool
2. In a pan, brown chicken sausage. Turn heat to low and cook completely
- Chicken is an optional ingredient & great way to make an entire meal out of your stuffing
- Check out the label to make sure that it’s gluten free
- If you’re not gluten free check out our Blue Ribbon Quality chicken sausage. It’s made fresh in your store everyday!
3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes, until onions are translucent and fragrant.
4. Mix rosemary, thyme and sage. Add herb mixture to skillet
5. Add kale, cook for another 5-7 minutes, until kale softens and turns bright green.
- Make sure to remove the stems! You want to use bite sized kale pieces. You can give it a rough chop or even tear it into pieces with your fingers.
- Add some vegetable broth to help wilt the kale
6. Add your cooked chicken sausage
7. Add quinoa to pan. Sauté mixture and add vegetable broth as necessary.
8. Remove from heat and add all remaining ingredients (apple, pecans, cranberries, lemon juice, salt and pepper). Chill or serve immediately.