Our take on this Thanksgiving staple was created by your Village Super Market dietitian to be a lighter version of your normal sweet potato side dish. It’s also a Gluten Free option! The recipe serves 4, so make sure to grab double the ingredients if you’re hosting more guests.
If you’re running short on time on Thanksgiving day keep this recipe for last. If you’re in a rush this dish can be finished off with only 7 minutes in the microwave!
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, cooked
- ¾ cup low-fat milk
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 ½ Tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon butter, melted
- Cook sweet potatoes in microwave or by baking in the oven.
- Peel and mash potatoes.
- Combine mashed potatoes with milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and butter.
- Place in a 1-quart casserole dish; cover and microwave on medium for 7 minutes, or place in oven at 325o for 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated.