KALE & POTATO SOUP WITH CHICKEN SAUSAGE
Serves 6 Time 45 Minutes
- 1 package Thin and Trim Sweet Italian Sausage
- 8 cups kale, stems removed, chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 medium red potatoes, diced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large dutch oven or stock pot, cook sausage over medium-low heat. Turn and cook until brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from pot, let cool and cut into thin slices.
- Add oil to pot, add onions and carrots; cook on medium until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add broth, water and black pepper, bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes. Add cooked sausage, potatoes, red pepper flakes and bring back to a simmer. Cook covered for about 4 minutes.
- Add kale and bring back to a simmer. Cook partially covered until the potatoes and kale are cooked, about 5-6 minutes. Adjust salt/pepper, if needed.