Freekeh with Roasted Butternut Squash
- 1/2 cup Freekeh Foods Original cracked freekeh
- 1 ¼ cups Pacific low sodium vegetable broth (or use water)
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 4 Tablespoons ShopRite organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 2 Tablespoons ShopRite honey
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare Freekeh as directed.
- Drizzle 2 Tbsp. olive oil over Brussels sprouts and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast on baking sheet for 20-30 minutes, depending on their size and until tender.
- Saute the other 2 Tbsp. olive oil in a medium skillet and add onions, cook until softened but do not carmelize. Add apple and lemon juice and continue sauteeing to soften apples. Add honey, sprinkle with salt and pepper and saute a few more minutes.
- Add freekeh to the apples and onion and warm it back up, then add to a large bowl. Add roasted Brussels sprouts, cranberries, and parsley. Season to taste.
Adapted from original recipe by foodwanderings.com “Freekeh with Brussels Sprouts, Apple, Dried Cranberries, Honey & Pomegranate”