White Bean Chicken Chili
Meal of the Week Recipe
- 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, chopped (optional)
- 1 pound extra lean ground chicken
- 2-15 ounce cans of white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 container sliced baby bella mushrooms, rinsed and chopped
- 2-3 cup low sodium chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of cumin (more to taste)
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Parsley (for garnish)
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and jalapeño (if using), cooking until onions are translucent. Add in chicken and sauté until no longer pink, reaching an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, mash 1 cup of beans with a fork until consistency is smooth throughout.
- In a crockpot, layer chicken, mushrooms, and beans (including mashed and remaining whole beans). Add broth and season with ginger, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook on high heat for 3-4 hours.
This recipe can also be made on the stove top. Cook chicken and then cook vegetables in a large pot. Add in 1 cup chicken broth and spices, bring to a boil and simmer for 40 minutes. Recipe should be done in about 1 hour!