Grilled Beets Recipe
- 6 medium beets (between the size of a baseball and a golf ball)
- Sprig of thyme (optional – you can substitute any fresh herbs you have on hand)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Prepare the Beets: Scrub the beets, then trim the root and stem ends. Leave the skin on for now. In groups of three, put them on a sheet of aluminum foil, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the thyme sprig, then fold the foil over and crimp the edges to tightly cover the beets.
- Prepare the grill: Set your grill up for indirect cooking at medium-high heat.
- Cook the Beets: Put the foil wrapped beets over the unlit burners (or on the top shelf) and cook with the lid closed for 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the thickness of your beets. They’re done when they can be pierced easily with a skewer.
- Clean and Serve the Beets: Remove the foil pouch from the grill, and let it rest for 5-10 minutes to cool down. Open up the foil, and peel the skin off the beets using paper towels. Cut the beets into halves or quarters, depending on their size. Put the beets in a serving bowl, sprinkle them with a little more salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.